Answered By: Lewis Zimmerman
Last Updated: Nov 21, 2017     Views: 12

Disability Rights Oregon provides a handbook on guardianships here: While it is written specifically for people with disabilities who may have a guardian appointed for them, it provides a good overview of the process.

You may also wish to look into an alternative to guardianship, such as a power of attorney, that would let you make certain decisions on behalf of your child. The Oregon State Bar has a good discussion of this available here:; there is also a list on pg. 15 of the Guardianship Handbook, linked above. 

Finally, the Oregon Department of Human Services has a good page of resources on guardianship, conservatorship and other options in Oregon available here:

Related Topics

State of Oregon Law Library Blog

To learn more, click to read our blogWe give updates on issues important to litigants on our blog. You will find current events, changing stances on the law, if arguments are scheduled, upcoming training events, and more.